Friday, May 09, 2008

No Nikon required

Today was the Mothers Day Celebration at Eric's school. We gathered in the fellowship hall to watch the kiddos sing some songs for us, and I whipped out my camera. I darn near had a panic attack when I turned on the camera/videocamera and there was no power. None. A big event and no photos or video? A catastrophe.

Or maybe not. It occurred to me at that moment that perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Sometimes I worry that I watch too many events through a viewfinder. So, I put the camera back in its case, got comfy in my chair, and watched. With no camera.

And you know what? I did not need that camera because I will remember those songs even though there is no photographic proof of it.

I will remember watching Eric up there on stage with his classmates, wearing Mickey Mouse ears, singing songs and making hand motions.

I will remember him standing up there and winking at me while he was supposed to be singing.

I will remember how he was only half-way paying attention to what was coming out of his mouth because he was more interested in watching the crowd.

I will remember that cheesey smile he gave the room after Ms. Marie told the kids to smile for the parents and their cameras.

I will remember it all. No Nikon required. Maybe just a little bit of Kleenex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I love your pictures, of course. However, I am happy you were able to totally enjoy Eric's school Mother's Day Program by paying close attention. Happy Mother's Day, Jen!
This one is a bit hard for me!
Love to you all,
Judy